Aug 2, 2014

Prose and Cons

Some think that strength is weakness
And that borders are for breaching
Or that our country’s like a whale
That’s set a course for beaching
Regardless, heedless leadership
Won’t hear what we’re beseeching
 
At times, I feel my poetry
Is to the choir, preaching
I balance rhyme with reason
When effects might be far-reaching
 
And I believe a whisper
Has more influence than screeching
Lest we be roundly criticized
For vastly over-reaching
 
My reputations stained enough
And may not take more bleaching
But times will make a moment
And this moment’s made for teaching
And so the subject of my poem
Quite clearly is…impeaching
 
Wise men say the republic
Is secure and quite-long-lived
They point out painful Presidents
The nation has survived
 
That sure is smart I grant you
But I’ll say something smarter
Eight years of Obama
Is like sixteen years of Carter
 
The Framers raised a mansion
With the strength designed to take it
But every day that passes
I’m not certain we can make it
 
The only piece of comfort
Is each morning I remember
That if we trust the polls
We only need to reach November
 
Then more new paths are opened
And all our options widen
Among which is the prospect
Of President Joe Biden

No comments: